Those Pesky Window Clips

Basic Repairs and Fixes.

Moderators: Xtreme/T-Type, Lo Type

88T-FL
2008 Site Supporter

Those Pesky Window Clips

Post by 88T-FL » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:59 pm

I could not put the passenger window down on the 89 I bought not too long ago and now the driver's side got so slow I had to do something. I went to GM, purchased the front and rear clips and planned to do the job right. However, never enough time so I just replaced the rear two ones for now. As the site is quiet as of late I thought I would post the replacement.

The existing clip was actually broken so I had no trouble slipping the window out of the track. Put the window down a bit, grasp the window frimly and push forward. It came right out as the clip was broken. You may have to cut your's with a box cutter.

The rear (smaller) clip - took the pic so you can copy the part number.

The front (larger) clip - I did not replace them at this time. Gotta pull the door panels off to do that. Added that to my To Do list though.

The manual says to heat the clip up with a hair dryer (or soak in hot water). It does make it easire to snap the part together

I used a piece of wood with a nail in it to keep the clip from blowing away.

When the clip is warm it just snap it in place by pressing HARD with one finger on each side of the hole & post.

New clip in place. Just push the window into the track, lubricate the track (some say use spray silicone, some say powerded graphite), run the window up and down a few times and you are there.

Total time for both windows was about a half hour including set up and clean up. Not bad as I now have two windows that open. However, replace the front clips and properly grease the inards (all of that neat stuff inside the door) or you will be back here in no time.

Thanks - Peter
88 BLT, 89 BLT, 89 BLT (Sold and missed), 86 LGN, 86LGN

electra380
Advanced Member

Post by electra380 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:36 pm

looks like a good post for the maintenece section, or maybe a how-to?
"Possibly a rare granny rack? you know them things give you all the extra power needed to outrun a cop car. they only put them on grandma's Buick because they know they wont abuse the power."

Dave G
Advanced Member
car:: Other GM

Post by Dave G » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm

Nice pictures to go along with that. I am sure a lot of people can use to do that same thing.

T Type Dude
Advanced Member

Post by T Type Dude » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm

nice post and pictures,check your PM :D
1988 Buick LeSabre T Type .......sold

calenatar
Advanced Member
car:: Other GM

Post by calenatar » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:54 pm

its amazing how much those little clips cost. some parts stores have the front ones in their help parts section but the big ones in the back are dealer only and are very rare(at least around here) i bought the last 4 they had when i replaced the ones in my car. i think i sold them to a forum member when i sold my T.
jamey
95 Impala SS AKA the PuniSSher
383 LT1 550hp N/A beast.

Mistascott
Advanced Member

Post by Mistascott » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:51 pm

You can actually do it with the door panel on. It takes practice. One hand through the speaker hole to get the clip aligned and you can sneak the other one in as described above.

One time I did both clips in less than 5 minutes. For some reason I don't think I am proud of this accomplishment. They keep breaking/coming out, even with all preparation steps followed (lube, heat). Temperature extremes mess up the plastic. But, I can pop them back in so fast it doesn't bother me anymore.
Scott
87 GN (SOLD)
87 LeSabre T-Type

Whitelion-89-T
Advanced Member
car:: 89 Lesabre T-type

Post by Whitelion-89-T » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:30 pm

Great write up & pics for "How to Do" the windows clips. I still need to do my DS.
Image 1989 BLT Well maintained second owner with 113-K Miles. Fully-loaded, ABS, NICE leather, STB,Walker muffler & Custom-Duels, 2-1/2" tips, No Cat, STRONG Runner.
1988 Chev-Corsica from original owner.
1990 Aerostar Eddie 72-K Miles 4.0L,E-AWD.
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Whitelion_6/[/img]

Dirtracr95
2008 Site Supporter
car:: 88 Lesabre T-type

Re: Those Pesky Window Clips

Post by Dirtracr95 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:49 am

so the front window clips are a different part number? I am getting my rear window clips tomorrow i guess i should order the fronts when i go to pick up the rears from the dealer they were only like $5

Alibi
Advanced Member
car:: 89 Lesabre T-type

Post by Alibi » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:17 am

The two clips are different sizes so it should be two different numbers.

Just for future reference, the "HELP" clips from O'Reily do NOT work right. I bought some but the glass is too thick for the clips to be able to lock into itself correctly. Looks like they may be a dealer only item for now.

88T-FL
2008 Site Supporter

Post by 88T-FL » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:37 pm

Hello,
I had posted more than once that the "HELP" clips in the auto parts stores that I tried were junk. Just go to the dealer, they are not too costly. They had the front or rear in stock at the dealer, had to orde rthe other but it was in next day. Saving a couple of bucks on the "HELP" clips will cost you on the back end.

Thanks - Peter

Dirtracr95
2008 Site Supporter
car:: 88 Lesabre T-type

Post by Dirtracr95 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:59 am

it only cost me $7 for 2 clips and i wouldnt put the "HELP" sh*t in my car if i had a choice.
And the clip i got from the dealer made the window worse. So i am leaving it alone for right now cuz its not worth the effort trying to fix now. When i get home from wyotech and completely disassemble my car then i will put all my effort into trying to fix everything