Intake cleaning/starting trouble shooting.

Basic Repairs and Fixes.

Moderators: Xtreme/T-Type, Lo Type

Nathaniel Gjr.
2005 Site Supporter
car:: 89 Lesabre T-type

Intake cleaning/starting trouble shooting.

Post by Nathaniel Gjr. » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:13 am

This summer i had a major problem starting my car(1989 3800 vin#1g4hp14c4kh40xxxx). it would start and die up to 4 times in a row before it would run. after going to some real lame duck shops, i decided to listen to the experts and techs HERE who know about these cars. first problem was the cold start: stalling until engine would finally run. i removed the iac vavle (idle air control vavle)from the lower part of the mas airflow sensor using a philips screwdriver. the iac vavle costs at the dealer $100.00. i suggest you get some intake cleaner and clean the area where the IAC valve pushes into the mass airflow sensor area. this vavle controls air flow at idle and when accelerating. a dirty valve will not open and close fully,. if you clean this area and the valve still does not work, it may be defective and need replacing.

after i determined mine was defective, and dirty, i got a new one, and cleaned the entire area and re-installed it. still no start on a dime.
i then removed the entire mass airflow sensor(philips screwdriver and four screws) and saw how dirty the screen and the electrodes that sense the air flow were. i got a can of crc's- QD electronic cleaner and sprayed the screen, then removed the sensor electrodes (the black box area w/four screws) using a philips screwdriver and sprayed the two sensor threads/wires which run horizontally across two metal wires, till they were shiney and clean. be carefull if you drop or damage this part, and the threads break, you will be buying a new mass airflow sensor ($475.00 new at the dealer, $75.00 rebuilt, or what ever a junkard charges).

i also took some Gum Out fuel injection system certifeid air intake and throttle body cleaner and sprayed it into the throttle plate w/ the engine running and me working the throttle by hand for ten seconds, waited and repeated until can was empty. i then re-attached the mass airflow sensor to the throttle body, airsnorkle, and airbox and filter and airsensor wire at the air box. now the car ran super smooth and the idle was great, but at cold start, still a stall.
Finally i got info from stevex, T, michael meyer, and a bunch of other people including my mom, to check my plugs. low and behold cyllinder #4 had a faulty plug. these were standard ac delco plugs, non rapid fires. after buying and installing some gm platinum rapid fire plugs,and bosch high performance wires, and at cold start, bam on a dime start!!!

The faulty sparkplug symptoms were stalling on start up cold, poor throttle response.

Remedy- better quality plugs and wires.($50 for all on sale at autozone)

The poor gas,idle and all around performance problems were caused by 15 years of dirt and gunk in the IAC valve area, and dirty sensors and screen in the mass airflow sensor.

Remedy-a thorough cleaning of the entire intake system including throttle plate,mass airflow sensor electrodes,screen, iac vavle and all areas where air flows.
($3.00 for CRC-qd elelctronic spray,$4.00 for gumout airintake and throttle body cleaner for fuel injected engines.

add 2 hours and a chiltons manual that was $9.00 8 years ago,and i saved a few hundred bucks where one shop told me i was halucinating and just needed Premium gas. and lets not forget all the immediate input my brothers and sisters here and around the way gave me.

hope this helps anyone with similar problems.

Nat gjr. :mtt:
Last edited by Nathaniel Gjr. on Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Negative people are fuel for your positivity. 1989 Buick lesabre T-type Garnet Red Red,Black leather Interior, all power, repro rear spoiler,Pontiac Bonneville dual outlet exhaust muffler,new timing gears,kyb GR-2's. One of GM's last great cars. 1998 Buick regal GS sedan Green/Grey, supercharged.

86 2dr.ltd steve
Advanced Member

Post by 86 2dr.ltd steve » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:39 pm

Good job Nat ! Thanks

Could you edit in the year and engine you have . I used to make the mistake thinking the LG3 Vin 3 and LN3 Vin C were the same but theres quite a bit of difference especialy in the throttle body/MAF location like this artical is about. Never having a Vin C I never even knew there was a difference.

Donny Lowrida
Advanced Member

Post by Donny Lowrida » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:27 am

Nat- You are DEFINIETLY the man now!!!

Do you realize that the two articles that you've posted are the same two problems that I'm currently experiencing with both the '88 and the '87? The '88 I'll be sure to follow the instructions you've given me. As for the '87, well, It sounds like a chore, and without a garage, I don't think I want to get involved with it until spring.

There is one discrepency in the article about the intake/ IAC, and that is the VIN 3 or C? The '87 has the "3" motor where the '88 has the "C" motor. I'm not worried about the '88, however, The '87 I am, as it is the one with all the problems.
GOOD JOB!!!

:mtt: :btt: :mtt:
You must be fast, cause I was haulin' a$$ when I passed you!!!
1983 Turbo Regal T-TypeImageImage
1988 Black Buick LeSabre T-Type
GoldT-Type Emblems,Taillight/headlightblackouts.
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 250,000 miles.

86 2dr.ltd steve
Advanced Member

Post by 86 2dr.ltd steve » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:56 am

Donny thats not a discrepency. Nat actually gave his vin #. :) Anyhow its a 89 LN3 VinC.

Donny Lowrida
Advanced Member

Post by Donny Lowrida » Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:06 am

oops- my bad! :roll:
You must be fast, cause I was haulin' a$$ when I passed you!!!
1983 Turbo Regal T-TypeImageImage
1988 Black Buick LeSabre T-Type
GoldT-Type Emblems,Taillight/headlightblackouts.
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 250,000 miles.

custom88

Post by custom88 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:28 am

I have a (dumb) question. Do you guys remove the MAF screen to clean the intake? If so, how do you take the screen off without damaging it.
<b>2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5 Twin Cam V6</b>

Nathaniel Gjr.
2005 Site Supporter

Post by Nathaniel Gjr. » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:19 am

you can remove the entire maf w/ the screen to gain access to the throttle plate and intake. i reccomend taking the time doing that becasue the dirt you will likely encounter inside there will definately cause a mess and that would only take longer to clean the maf if that filth gets on the screen. it should only e a couple screws, 1wiring harness and the removal of the air box snorkle to remove the maf. i know the 87 engine is different location i'm not too familiar with, but the 88,89 should be on the drivers side for easy access.

Nat Gjr. :mtt:
Negative people are fuel for your positivity. 1989 Buick lesabre T-type Garnet Red Red,Black leather Interior, all power, repro rear spoiler,Pontiac Bonneville dual outlet exhaust muffler,new timing gears,kyb GR-2's. One of GM's last great cars. 1998 Buick regal GS sedan Green/Grey, supercharged.

Nathaniel Gjr.
2005 Site Supporter

Post by Nathaniel Gjr. » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:30 am

i want to thank everyone who read and found my articles useful. dan,donny, i hope you can use some of my info to get those problems solved. trust me you will be glad with the results.
steve, thanks for giving me the idea to post the articles. and to think, some jerks i used to know said " you 'll never figure anything out about a car." trial and error . the best teachers.

Nat gjr :mtt:

86 2dr.ltd steve
Advanced Member

Post by 86 2dr.ltd steve » Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:12 am

Ya Nat I remember that ordeal really well. I must have missed the conclusion because I didnt remember you finally got it with simply spark plugs and wires. I have learned something here as well. I would have never steered you toward the plugs and wires but would have insisted there was another senor somewhere or streached/wore timing gear messing up your ECM's mind :o

JOENOODLES

Post by JOENOODLES » Fri May 23, 2003 7:37 pm

Great article Nat one question where do you get the cleaner you used for the MAF? Thanks
:mtt:
89 Ruby Red stock plenty of mods planned now that I have the time.

Nathaniel Gjr.
2005 Site Supporter

Post by Nathaniel Gjr. » Sat May 24, 2003 8:41 am

joe, you can find "QD-CRC" electronic spray cleaner at r&s strauss, or autozone. i think it was around 3 bucks. best 3 bucks i ever spent. the spray is very cold for some reason. comes in a red can with a black top. wear a glove when spraying it, and you have to let the component you use it on dry fully. good luck!!!!

nat Gjr. :mtt:

agarcia7565
New Guy

Re: Intake cleaning/starting trouble shooting.

Post by agarcia7565 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:52 am

Our 89 Ttype is having a similar problem. The only addition to this is that the catalytic converter is getting extremely hot while trying to keep it running. It was glowing hot after just 4-5 tries to keep the car running. We are going to look more into it tomorrow, just wanted to get some feed back if anyone else has had similar problem

87 PA-Tc
2008 Site Supporter
car:: 87 Lesabre T-type

Post by 87 PA-Tc » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Sounds like your cat is plugged up. If it is original, then you might want to consider replacing it.

Z-type
Advanced Member
car:: 88 Lesabre T-type

Post by Z-type » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:43 am

Yep, I'd agree that it's plugged. Time for a new one!