Something EVERYONE needs to check...

Basic Repairs and Fixes.

Moderators: Xtreme/T-Type, Lo Type

GeoNOregon
car:: Other H-body

Re: Something EVERYONE needs to check...

Post by GeoNOregon » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:05 am

Any time you have the tranny pan or engine oil pan off, make sure you check the 'deck', (gasket contact surface), with a straight edge. What happens is when the bolts are tightened, (and especially if they are over-tightened), the pan will dimple towards the gasket. If you find any that are dimpled from the bolt, hammer them flat.

We used to cross-drill the bolt head and safety wire pan bolts on race car engines, but that's a LOT of work. I started using internal star washers on street engines and found that usually helped. You need to make sure the internal star you get has something to bite into on the pan, (sometimes the hole in the pan might be a bit too large). If you need to, you might need to use an external star washer - the problem with external stars is clearance around the bolt on some pans.

If you want to get fancy, I've seen engines that are in high vibration situations, (boats and/or off-road), you could use studs and ny-lock nuts instead of bolts. I took the oil pan off a hot-rod 4x4 one time that had studs and ny-locks and it was the easiest pan replacement I ever did. The studs sure made it easy to get it back on!

Later,

GeoD

electra380
Advanced Member

Re: Something EVERYONE needs to check...

Post by electra380 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:35 am

Holy old effin thread batman!! Good post though.....anyone have a T for sale near VA or TN?