Saga of a Replacement LeSabre T-type

Lesabre T-type or other H-body related topics.

Moderators: MICHAEL MEYER, Xtreme/T-Type, custom88, Lo Type

Lightfoot
Advanced Member
car:: 88 & 89 Lesabre T-type

Re: build sheet

Post by Lightfoot » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:22 pm

I found the build sheet for my red '88 BLT on top of the gas tank. It was in pretty rough shape.

Good story. It reminds me of flying from South Bend IN to Wilkes Barre PA in 2007, to pick up the red BLT I bought on eBay. It had just 73,600 miles and ran flawlessly on the drive back to Michigan City. I discovered that the car had zero rust underneath, even though it had been a Pennsylvania car all it's life. A carfax I ordered before I bid on the LeSabre kind of hinted that it might have been stored during the winters.
That was the first time I ever flew commercial airlines, so it was a pretty stressfull day to do that (three connecting flights) and then pick up the car that I had only seen photos of. I brought a minimal tool kit (test light, screw drivers, battery wrench, etc.) in my back pack that I took on the flight.
Also, I went straight to a Wal Mart (in PA) and bought a cheap floor jack & 4-way lug wrench to put in the trunk for the drive home. Something I always carry when I go on any long road trip.
When I got home, I went to the local Wal Mart and returned them with the receipt. :D
Silver 1989 135,600 miles
Garnet 1988 82,828 miles. STOLEN Aug 31, 2009. Still at Large
Black 1988 former road trip car; the one that got away @ 133K
Black 1989 former winter driver; RIP @ 202K

vidsal
car:: 89 Lesabre T-type

Re: Saga of a Replacement LeSabre T-type

Post by vidsal » Thu May 01, 2014 4:27 pm

The cars from the rust belt that have been stored during the winter are usually some of the best. My uncle has a 79 MGB with extremely low miles that has been in his garage for decades. A lot of LeSabre T-types have been showing up online now that the warmer weather is approaching. I've got so many projects that I'll need to spin a wheel of fortune to see which one I work on next. Of course house repairs will probably take priority over the old cars. Both the Tucson LeSabre and my Corvair need rear brake work at the moment. I think the LeSabre will have cheaper parts, plus I have the parts car in case I really want to start saving bits here and there. It will be interesting to see if the drums are good. If not, maybe I can use the ones from the parts car depending on condition.
Image Image
1989, 245k, leather, trunk release delete, pwr driver seat, no anti-lock
1988, 62k, cloth, Tucson car, restoration candidate
1988 sedan for parts, 229k
1990 Reatta Conv, 190k
1970 Dodge Polara Conv
1989 Saab 900 T Conv and another for parts
2001 Aurora V8 and others

vidsal

Post by vidsal » Fri May 16, 2014 3:50 pm

You know that sound the record player needle makes when dragged off to the side? Hear that now. I saw the same super nice car up in Kelowna BC Canada. It appeared for sale in Vancouver BC not quite seven months later at a much higher price. I almost got it last year before the Tucson car and that buyer got it several hours before I finished my research and figured out how to send a deposit I then started my research over again with the guy in Vancouver, but wasn't so set on the car since I have this Tucson car. The ad even used some of the same pictures from last year. I wasn't moving very fast due to the price being pretty high and I knew what it sold for last year. Oddly in the past week I also almost bought that car in Portland OR since it had a really nice leather interior, but might have been another good restoration candidate even at $500 (see for sale forum for that story.) I'm going to be in Portland for a few days this summer in any case. After those two incidents I'm back to the Tucson car. I've been gathering a few parts. I've got all the emblems now. I see a nice steering wheel that I might buy next. I've got a NOS air dam just in case and that trunk lid with spoiler I picked up in 1997. What else do I need? Dashboard, all the rubber weather stripping and the black trim under the windows on the doors since it dented up bad. I might have to pull the parts car dash and send it off to be redone. Anyone ever do that and how good is the job/price? I might also need a center console since this one looks bad, but I'll try cleaning it up.
Image Image
1990 Reatta Conv, 190k
1970 Dodge Polara Conv

vidsal

Post by vidsal » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:50 pm

Several rear brake jobs have kept me from working on the Tucson LeSabre lately and rear brakes are the next project I've got for that one too! Wheel cylinder leaks seem to occur after 20+years and the K1500 was the latest to need a fix. The Corvair's rear wheel cylinder seized up while partially engaged so now I've got that one apart.
Image Image
1990 Reatta Conv, 190k
1970 Dodge Polara Conv

CaryUrive
New Guy

Post by CaryUrive » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:16 am

As soon as we surf the internet and looking for the jammer products we can see that there are various types of signal jammers that are for sale in the market now such as the mobile phone jammers, GPS jammers, 3g jammer, wifi jammers, UHF jammers, the multi-functional signal jammers and so many others kinds of signal jammers for sale as well. And what people now need to do is just select the best one according to their needs.

vidsal

Post by vidsal » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:24 am

So, I ended up seeing the Canadian car (I originally lost twice before) again on eBay. It didn't sell. I contacted the owner via FB and we agreed to a price. He was visiting Texas and after a deposit, he ended up bringing the car to me. All worked out very well. Customs was interesting, but I now have a clear NM title. Now I've got my replacement car which I had been tracking for three years now. The Tucson car is up for sale on FB and I'll paste an ad on here shortly...happy driving!
Last edited by vidsal on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

turbokinetic
Advanced Member
car:: Lesabre Custom

Post by turbokinetic » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:35 am

vidsal wrote:So, I ended up seeing the Canadian car I lost again on eBay. It didn't sell. I contacted the owner via FB and we agreed to a price. He was visiting Texas and after a deposit, he ended up bringing the car to me. All worked out very well. Customs was interesting, but I now have a clear NM title. Now I've got my replacement car which I had been tracking for three years now. The Tucson car is up for sale on FB and I'll paste an ad on here shortly...happy driving!
That's great that you got the car you wanted! Hopefully you can move forward with it now, and not have too much go wrong.
Sincerely,
David

addseo1115
New Guy
car:: 87, 88 & 89 Lesabre T-type

Post by addseo1115 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:33 am

I have enjoyed with your posts.
I am new member here.
Glad to see you.

vidsal

Post by vidsal » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:55 pm

I sold the 88 Tucson car yesterday. It was sad to see it go, but my two other cars will take up enough time for sure. The local buyer said he was born and then brought home from the hospital in a Grand National. I'm sure he'll be needing interior parts someday soon.
Last edited by vidsal on Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
1990 Reatta Conv, 190k
1970 Dodge Polara Conv

turbokinetic
Advanced Member
car:: Lesabre Custom

Post by turbokinetic » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:52 am

vidsal wrote:I sold the 88 Tucson car yesterday. It was sad to see it go, but my two other cars will take up enough time for sure. The local buyer said he was born and brought home from the hospital, it was in a Grand National. I'm sure he'll be needing interior parts someday soon.
That's a good buyer - one who was born and immediately transported in a Grand National! Buick from Day One can we say?

vidsal

Post by vidsal » Fri May 13, 2016 11:09 pm

It's baaaack. So I couldn't post this since the site was down. I noticed the Tucson car for sale in Feb/March and got in touch with the buyer. It wouldn't start. I stopped over by the car and we figured out it probably had no spark. There was fuel at the rail. The buyer didn't want to keep the car and I offered to buy it back. Long story short I trailered it home, installed the coilpack ign module from my parts car and it fired up. Now it's for sale see that section. I can't keep three unfortunately.
Image Image
1990 Reatta Conv, 190k
1970 Dodge Polara Conv

vidsal

Post by vidsal » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:40 pm

Update, I ended up selling the Tuscon car for the second time in 2016 to a guy (Matt) who I saw driving it around occasionally. He sold it to a friend (Dennis) that stopped me when driving the BC car at Wal Mart one day in Sept 2018 and asked about my car. He didn't seem to know a lot of LeSabre T-types, but was attempting to keep the Tuscon car on the road. I think they blamed me for the overall condition of the car which is unfortunate since I essentially only brought the car to Santa Fe from Tucson before buying the BC car. Here's what I posted to FB:

Sept 24 2018
I ran into the current owner of the Tucson car (on right in picture) earlier today. He stopped in a well-traveled parking lot access to ask out his window if my car was a T-type. I thought that was unusual and I said it's a LeSabre T-type thinking this would be a person who maybe heard of Regal T-types or something....nope. He was excited to see my car. I got his contact info and sent him a picture of my car so he can see one with an original black grille. That Tucson car (as Chris Choin will remember noticing) was popped up front long ago and given some odd parts like the wrong grille. It did have a proper intact air dam and I told Dennis, the current owner, it's worth something (thinking of some of you w cracked ones). Apparently, the person I sold it to named Matthew sold it to Dennis and told him a story of the previous owner being a mechanic and not a mechanic (me?). I've never told anyone I'm a mechanic. Very odd. He said he's having the head gaskets done. That seemed odd to me too, but not impossible. I've heard of very very few 3800 engines needing head gaskets even at high miles. That car was badly abused though while in AZ.
Image Image
1990 Reatta Conv, 190k
1970 Dodge Polara Conv